Chanel No.5 is simply the most iconic and enduring fragrance in the world. The bottle with its beautifully chunky stopper is instantly recognizable. If like us you love it, you might like to know a little more about the story behind the world’s most famous fragrance.
- Chanel No.5 was created by the French fashion designer Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel along with her perfumier Ernest Beaux and launched in 1921. Coco used the fragrance to perfume her Rue Cambon boutique and gave samples to all her best clients. It quickly became apparent that the perfume was going to be successful. Coco said of her first fragrance ‘That is what I was waiting for. A perfume like nothing else. A woman’s perfume, with the scent of a woman’
- The name “Chanel No.5” is said to have been chosen by Chanel herself because she believed that the number 5 was lucky for her. It is also rumoured that she selected the fifth blend of 24 samples presented to her by Beaux.
- Chanel No.5 gained huge notoriety when Marilyn Monroe famously said in Time magazine that she wore only a few drops of the fragrance to bed, leading to the famous quote, “What do I wear in bed? Chanel No. 5, of course.” This association with a glamorous celebrity helped cement its status as an iconic perfume.
- Chanel No.5 is known for its complex and sophisticated composition. It combines floral and woody notes creating a distinctive, timeless, and elegant scent. Some of the key notes include rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, and sandalwood and was groundbreaking at the time because it was the first fragrance to feature a high concentration of synthetic aldehydes, which gave it a unique and modern scent.
- Chanel No.5 has maintained its popularity for over a century and is considered a classic and timeless fragrance. It has been a best-seller for Chanel since its launch and continues to be a symbol of luxury and sophistication in the world of perfumery. Chanel often quoted the poet, Paul Valery, “A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future.”
Today Chanel No.5 is not just a fragrance; it’s a symbol of elegance, luxury, and enduring style, and a true icon in the world of perfumery.
Founder at BagButler.Ldn