Show Your Bags Some Love
Here is the BagButler 5-step guide to looking after your own arm candy so that it can look at its best for as long as possible.
- Empty your bag every day and discard the things you don’t need each and every day. Not only does this save you the frustrating task of searching through weeks of debris to find what you are looking for, but it also means you are not lugging around more than you need. Better for you and great for the shape of your bag. Doing this daily takes no time at all and a great micro habit to cultivate.
- If you aren’t using a bag for a while, empty it of all contents and pad it with acid free tissue or a special bag pillow and store it in a box (not plastic) away from heat and light. This is especially important for patent bags as they do not respond well to heat.
- From time to time, use a clean very soft white cloth to just buff over your bag very lightly and give any metal work a little buff too. A small and pleasurable task that can make quite a difference to the appearance of your bag and it will likely affect how you feel about it as well.
- If you find damage or wear to a special bag, rather than discarding it, we recommend sending a photo to one of the handbag restoration companies for a quote to repair. Do not attempt to use products to clean or make repairs to valuable (sentimental or financial) bags yourself. If the bag means something to you it is worth having the restoration done properly and professionally. At BagButler, we use The Handbag Clinic.
- Consider using a special liner to protect the inside of your bags. Not only do these clever things help to keep the bag’s interior both organised and as good as new, they also add structure to some bags and help prevent the dreaded saggy look. Take a look at Handbag Angels for a huge range of off the shelf liners in a myriad of colours or get them to create a bespoke one for you. A liner also makes the daily emptying task a cinch so very much a win win.
Caring for things and making them last is one of the easiest ways we can all cut down on waste and overconsumption and it feels good too. Hope these tips are as helpful to you as they are to us and if you’ve got any tips and tricks up your sleeve – let us know in the comments section below.
Wishing you sunshine with your rentals,
Founder at BagButler.Ldn